FBI Background Check/Record
Obtaining the FBI Criminal Background/Record Information is a great resource when collecting information for your work history, driving record and residential addresses that may be difficult to obtain elsewhere. Obtaining the FBI Criminal Background Information is the same resource Airlines use when completing a background check. It is recommended that each student complete the background check prior to class beginning, though it is not a requirement.
You may begin the process by following the instructions below.
Step 1: Complete the Applicant Information Form.
· If the request is for a couple, family, etc., all persons must sign the form.
· Include your complete mailing address. Please provide your telephone number and/or e-mail address, if available.
Step 2: Obtain a set of your fingerprints.
· Provide the original fingerprint card. Previously processed cards or copies will not be accepted.
· Your name and date of birth must be provided on the fingerprint card. Fingerprints should be placed on a standard fingerprint form (FD-258) commonly used for applicant or law enforcement purposes.
· Include rolled impressions of all 10 fingerprints and impressions of all 10 fingerprints taken simultaneously (these are sometimes referred to as plain or flat impressions).
· If possible, have your fingerprints taken by a fingerprinting technician. This service may be available at a law enforcement agency.
· To ensure the most legible prints possible, refer to the Recording Legible Fingerprints brochure.
Step 3: Submit payment.
· Option 1: Obtain a money order or cashier’s check for $18 U.S. dollars made payable to the Treasury of the United States. Please be sure to sign where required.
· Option 2: Pay by credit card using the Credit Card Payment Form. Don’t forget to include the expiration date of the credit card that you are using.
· Important note: Cash, personal checks, or business checks WILL NOT be accepted.
· Payment must be for the exact amount.
· If the request is for a couple, family, etc., include $18 for each person.
· If the request is for multiple copies per person, include $18 for each copy requested.
Step 4: Review the FBI Identification Record Request Checklist to ensure that you have included everything needed to process your request.
Step 5: Mail the required items listed above—signed applicant information form, fingerprint card, and payment of $18 U.S. dollars for each person or copy requested—to the following address:
FBI CJIS Division – Record Request
1000 Custer Hollow Road
Clarksburg, WV 26306
For more information on the FBI Criminal Background Check click here