Travel Agents Connect the World
With a career as a travel agent, you'll make travel arrangements: airline, car, hotel, cruises, tours, sight seeing trips, and more for people traveling anywhere in the world. These reservations are made at your fingertips using the WORLDSPAN Computer Reservation System (CRS), which you will learn hands on in class.
The Travel Academy has only 24 students per class and each student has their own WORLDSPAN reservation system. WORLDSPAN is a travel reservation system that connects the travel industry worldwide. WORLDSPAN allows you to make reservations for airline tickets, car rentals, hotels, cruises, tours and sight seeing trips most anywhere in the World. In addition, WORLDSPAN has valuable information for most cities and areas around the world including: required vaccines, customs info, weather info, sight seeing and other general information.
Types of Travel Agent Careers
There are two main categories of travel agents: corporate travel agents , who make travel arrangements for business travelers, and leisure travel agents , who make travel arrangements for individual travelers, families or small groups of travelers visiting family, friends or going on vacation. Or, be your own boss and work as an independent travel agent!
The Travel Academy travel agent career training includes:
· WORLDSPAN Computer Reservation System training
· Airport codes
· Airline terminology
· Airline pricing
· How to find the lowest airfares
· Reading airline tickets
· Understanding fare ladders (the breakdown of the airfare, taxes, surcharges)
· ARC and it’s functions (Airline Reporting Corporation)
· International travel information
· Hotel information, including booking on WORLDSPAN
· Car rental information, including booking on WORLDSPAN
· Rail information, including Amtrak and the European Train systems
· Tour information, including using VAX (Vacation Access) and World Agent Direct, two nationally used travel agent booking websites
· Cruise agent information
· Sales and customer service
· Travel Agent Internships
The Travel Academy has opportunities available to work for travel agencies while going to school, as receptionists and general agency support, to gain hands on experience with travel agents. You may also request an internship to work at a travel agency while going to school to gain more hands on experience for your travel agent career. The internships may be paid, but in most cases are not.
Travel Agencies Recently in our Office
· American Express Travel (over 4,000 offices throughout the world)
· Carlson Wagonlit Travel (2nd largest travel company in the world)
· AAA Travel (3rd largest travel company in the world)
· Hobbit Travel (largest individual agency in the Twin Cities)
· ACS** (handles ticketing for Priceline.com, Yahoo.com, Orbitz.com, Nwa.com)
· LJK Companies** (airline and hotel reservations for pilots and flight crew)
· Centrav (International Airline Consolidator)
· Travel Advisors International
**These companies rely on the WORLDSPAN Reservation System—the same system we teach you how to use!
Back to Travel Industry Careers Page
Contact The Travel Academy to start your travel agent career training today!
Enroll Today *There is a $200.00 Enrollment fee credited to your tuition